Pages

13 July 2012

Whole Wheat Corn Bread

I've been wanting to make corn bread for a while. Why? I don't know. It just seems like one of those classic comfort foods that every mom should know how to make. Plus it's delicious. Plus, I make my fair share of chili, and corn bread and chili are two mixy things. Anyhoo, I was going to make it this one time and realized I didn't have the ingredients. Then I was going to make it this other time and took a nap instead (napping always beats out cooking). This time I was determined! And then I realized I had no eggs. And then I texted Naomi and she brought them over. That's right, she hauled her and her growing baby (in her belly) up three flights of stairs for me. That's friendship*.

Whole Wheat Corn Bread

Adapted from Allrecipes

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup white sugar
2 eggs (borrowed from Naomi; if you don't have a Naomi, don't worry, you can use the eggs in your fridge)
1 cup buttermilk (I did almost a cup of normal milk with a couple tablespoons lemon juice and let it sit for a few minutes)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch square pan.
2. Melt butter in medium pot. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pot. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 (I did 25 and it was pretty much perfect) minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
4. Let cool and eat . . . and eat and eat.

I didn't take a picture. I ate 'em (Mark and Micah (who is here this week and we got to see him, yay!) ate them also). But, imagine corn bread, and then imagine it a little darker (because of the wheat flour), and that is exactly what my corn bread looked like! Great imagining everyone!

It was delicious corn bread. Buttery, moist, sweet--didn't even need butter or honey on it in my opinion. Yum.

So go make some. I dare you.

*Naomi thinks I talk about her on my blog an awful lot. I would stop doing it, but it's just not possible when she does things like bring me eggs. Not possible.

4 comments:

Naomi Jenkins said...

So glad your love can be bought for something as cheap as eggs! :) I shudder to think where we'd be if you required something pricier like chocolate milk to make this work...

Becky said...

Yum, me wants! But I guess I will have to make it myself if I want it.

Lisa D said...

That sounds really good! And I agree, naps always trump cooking.

Marie said...

I want a Naomi. Where can I get one? How much are they?