Pie Crust
Adapted from: This is the best pie crust and tutorial I've seen. I tried this quiche crust with wheat flour and this technique. The recipe is kind of a mash-up of those two recipes.
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoons sugar (optional) (I did it. I like some sweet with my salty)
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup (8 Tablespoons) frozen butter that has been grated on a cheese grater
1 Tablespoon greek yogurt
2 1/4 Tablespoons cold milk
1. In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. Whisk together.
2. Add frozen, grated butter and greek yogurt to dry ingredients. With your fingers, work the greek yogurt and butter into the flour mixture, breaking the butter and greek yogurt up until they’re well incorporated into the flour.
3. Add milk all at once to the flour and butter mixture. With a fork, begin to combine the ingredients, making sure that all of the flour mixture is introduced to the liquid. The mixture does not need to come together into a ball. Leave it a bit shaggy and dump the dough into a clean 9-inch pie plate.
4. With your fingers, press the dough evenly into the bottom of the pie plate and up the sides. Try to get the dough as even as possible, but don’t spend more than 5 minutes fiddling with it.
5. Place the prepared crust in the freezer while you preheat the oven and prepare your filling. If you’re going to pre-bake your crust, heat the oven to 350 degrees F and line the chilled pie crust with foil, weigh down with beans and bake for 10 minutes covered. Remove the foil and beans and bake for 4-6 minutes uncovered until golden brown.
6. (Optional) If you need an unbaked pie crust, simply remove the crust from the freezer once your filling is made, fill your pie and place in a preheated oven. Bake according to your particular recipe.
| The Crust |
Adapted from Everyday Reading
makes 1 9-inch quiche
1 pie crust
1 large bunch or bag fresh spinach (around 5-6 cups)
1/3 cup greek yogurt (about 3 ounces)
1/3 cup half and half (I used 1% milk, turned out better tasting than the first time I made it)
3 eggs
1/4 cup grated cheddar (I used pepper jack, mmmmm)
1/4 cup grated parmesan (I used . . . less)
1/2 cup sauteed onions
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Preheat oven to 425°F.
1. Wash the spinach (mine was pre-washed). Sautee in a pan over medium heat for about three minutes, or until spinach is wilted. Squeeze as much water out as possible (unless it's pre-washed, then you don't have to). Sautee onions and garlic in same pan with a little bit of olive oil.
2. Beat the greek yogurt with the half and half (or milk) and eggs until smooth-ish then mix in cheese, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, and spinach until combined. Pour mixture into prepared crust.
3. Bake until filling is set, 25-30 minutes.
Cool 10-15 minutes before serving.
| Before |
| After |
3 comments:
Mmm... that looks so good! I wish that my kids weren't allergic to eggs.
Looks really yummy. How funny that I am reading this blog right after I just finished making 4 broccoli, bacon, onion, mushroom quiches for a work party. Mine were more fattening though, I used half & half.
Your pictures of food are making me hungry! Nice job on it.
Post a Comment