Pages

19 December 2012

The Best Sweet Potatoes You'll Ever Have

Seriously. These things were so ding dang delicious. Honestly, I've had my fair share of sweet potatoes and yams (still not too sure about the difference between those two things) during Thanksgiving times, and they always looks super yummy--with the beautiful marshmallows baked on top, but then I dig in and I'm like, "Nasty, why did I put so much of this one my plate? Uhg, okay, take two more bites and lie through your teeth to the person who made them. What a waste of Thanksgiving stomach space." Since I was going all traditional on my Thanksgiving meal though, I decided I had to give sweet potatoes their very last chance. If they didn't turn out absolutely splendid, I would eschew them for the rest of my life. They turned out stinking awesome though. So now I'm going to make them every year and possibly whenever I feel like having something super yummy and somewhat festive as a side dish.

Yummiest Sweet Potatoes
adapted from Allrecipes

Ingredients:
-4 cups sweet potato, cubed
-1/2 cup white sugar
-2 eggs, beaten
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-4 tablespoons butter, softened
-1/2 cup milk
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-1 teaspoon cinnamon
-1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

-1/2 cup packed brown sugar
-1/3 cup all-purpose flour
-3 tablespoons butter, softened
-1/2 cup chopped pecans


Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Put sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan with water to cover. Cook over medium high heat until tender; drain and mash (Some people recommended baking your sweet potatoes and just scooping out the innards instead for better flavor. I didn't do this because my oven was otherwise occupied, but I might try it in the future. What I did was peel them, cube 'em, and boil 'em. Easy).
In a large bowl, mix together the sweet potatoes, white sugar, eggs, salt, butter, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix until smooth. Transfer to a 9x13 inch baking dish.
In medium bowl, mix the brown sugar and flour. Cut in the butter until the mixture is coarse (I used my food processor and it was super easy and quick). Stir in the pecans. Sprinkle the mixture over the sweet potato mixture.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until the topping is lightly brown.


Mmmm . . . them sweet taters were deeeeeeelicious. Make them for Christmas Eve or Christmas or something. You will not regret it.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I just don't know if I can make a whole pan of these to try them if I will possibly hate them. Possibly, you should make these while you are in Utah so that I can try them without the guilt of possibly throwing away a whole pan of food.

Lisa D said...

Thank you for the recipe! This dish was delicious!