So with impending baby getting more and more impending every day, I have been working on preparing various things. Cleaning the house. Attempting to organize the house. Trying not to forget the million or so things that still need to be done because there are a million things needing to be done . . . always. Let's just say our fridge and pantry are ridiculously well stocked. We have all the toiletries we'll need for a good long while, and Jack shall stay clothed for the next two years at least. Yes. I have been intense about this. When baby comes, I'm pretty sure we could not leave the house for about a month and be just fine. Ya know, other than the whole going completely crazy thing.
Anyhoo, one of my main projects has been freezer meals. I remember when Jack came along that I didn't have the energy (or the time management skills) for a long while to make a decent meal. Mark is a pretty awesome cook, so he did a great job of helping out in that category. But, I am now fully expecting that I'll be busy with baby boy and Mark will be busy with not so babyish Jack. So I've been going cray cray on freezer meals. There are about a million pins on Pinterest that have lists and lists of freezer meals to make, and I have looked through many of those pins, but my problem was that there wasn't much variety. Taco soup, cream of this, cream of that, teriyaki chicken, then beef, beef, beef. I wanted variety. I wanted VEGETABLES. We try to stay away from the creamed soup goods and we mostly do ground turkey and chicken in this house. So I had to hunt and organize a bit to make my own list of freezer meals that would be full meals, with veggies, and compatible with our food desires. I've spent so much time on this that I decided I would share the links with you! I also have a Freezer Meal Board on Pinterest that you can go to if you do that sort of thing.
What I have so far . . .
Casseroles/Lasagnas
Vegetable Lasagna--I've posted about this previously. Yummy yums.
Confetti Chicken Bake with Biscuit Topping--Made a double batch of this and froze everything but the biscuit topping cuz I figured it wouldn't freeze well and I could throw that together when I make it. This is like chicken pot pie without all the ridiculous hassle.
Greek Pastitsio--I just made a single batch of this during the day one day, so I don't know if it's amazing or not, but I gave the sauce some tastes and it was yummers. Also, it was super easy. And I subbed in whole wheat noodles.
Enchilada Casserole--Made a double batch of this today. It was good stuff, but next time I might use white corn tortillas...maybe.
Pesto and Sausage Baked Ziti--Double batched this. Oh man. Super duper yummy. I used part pork sausage because it was on a ridiculous super sale for $0.99 a pound and part ground turkey. And I used the Kirkland pesto that Mark and I sometimes splurge on at Costco. We actually didn't have enough pesto for a double batch. Only had a little more than half the amount needed, but it was really really good still.
Soups
Cauliflower Soup--Made a double batch and froze it in gallon bags.
Broccoli Cheese Soup--Haven't made this yet, but I'm planning on whipping some up tomorrow and freezing it.
Crock Pot Meals (confession, haven't gotten around to loading up the ingredients for these in gallon ziplocks yet, but I have made all of these meals and can attest to their deliciousness)
Honey Sesame Chicken--I like to add a red or green pepper to this one and serve over rice.
Honey Sriracha Chicken--Ummmm...amazing. Mark was obsessed with this chicken. Serve in tortillas with fresh tomatoes, cilantro, gaucamole, anything your heart desires.
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili--I actually haven't made this specific recipe because I had previously used a recipe I found on Panera's website...apparently they don't keep those things around forever. Anyway, this was the closest I could find to that recipe.
Miscellaneous
Applesauce Oat Muffins--I made a double batch of these. Not the sweetest, most delectable muffins on the planet, but definitely tasty and healthy. I'll just say that Jack approves, and I really don't mind him eating them to his heart's content.
Pioneer Woman--This is a post she did with a ton of great freezer meal tips that I've been using. Grilling chicken and freezing it, using disposable 9 x 13 pans, freezing soups flat for easy storage, etc. etc.
Beef and Bean Burritos--I put these together between sessions. I often find myself wanting something quick and easy for lunch (like a frozen pizza or frozen burritos), but I'm dissatisfied with the store bought frozen options. They are filled with who knows what, don't taste that amazing, and offer little to no nutritional value. When I found this burrito recipe I thought I'd give it a whirl, and I'm pretty happy with the results. They are a little time consuming, but they are tasty, preservative free, and you can add or take away various ingredients to your taste. Also, I recommend doubling this one, otherwise the time it takes really wouldn't be worth it.
Welp, that's what I've got so far. Pretty much a lot of doubled recipes and things that I already have made or do make regularly. I find myself excited for the yummy food available to me once the baby comes :) Oh, and here's a picture of the honey sriracha chicken so that this post is pinnable. Tada!
1 comment:
Someone's nesting. Good job!
Post a Comment